Skin Cancer Home > Zelboraf Overdose
Vomiting, joint pain, and heart problems may occur if someone overdoses on Zelboraf (vemurafenib). Although there have not been any reports of an overdose, taking too much may cause symptoms similar to the usual side effects of the drug. A healthcare provider may treat an overdose by pumping the stomach, administering activated charcoal, or providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Zelboraf?Zelboraf™ (vemurafenib) is a prescription medication used in the treatment of a type of skin cancer known as melanoma. This drug is used when the cancer has metastasized (spread in the body) or cannot be treated with surgery. It is approved for use in people who have a mutation, or change, in the "BRAF" gene.
As with any medicine, it is probably possible to overdose on Zelboraf. The specific effects could vary, however, depending on a number of factors, such as the Zelboraf dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of a Zelboraf OverdoseThere are no reports of an overdose with this medication. Therefore, it is not entirely known what to expect from taking too much Zelboraf. It is likely that an overdose could cause symptoms similar to the usual side effects of this medicine, such as:
In addition, Zelboraf can cause potentially serious changes in the electrical activity of the heart. This side effect could be possible with an overdose.
Treatment OptionsThe treatment for a Zelboraf overdose may vary. If the overdose was recent, it is possible that the healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also include supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care for a Zelboraf overdose may include:
- Administering medications to reduce nausea and vomiting if they occur
- Monitoring of blood electrolyte levels, such as sodium, potassium, and magnesium
- Monitoring of the electrical activity of the heart with an electrocardiogram (ECG).
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much of this medication.