Skin Cancer Home > Sylatron Side Effects
When using Sylatron, many people develop some type of reaction to the drug. Clinical studies have shown that fatigue, fever, and headaches are some of the most commonly reported side effects with Sylatron. There are also potentially serious problems that may occur, such as depression, vision changes, and chest pain, which require immediate medical attention.
An Introduction to Sylatron Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Sylatron™ (peginterferon alfa-2b) can cause side effects. Many people who use this drug will develop some sort of side effect. In many cases, the side effects are merely bothersome and not usually dangerous. In other cases, the side effects may be so severe or dangerous that the medication must be stopped.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Sylatron. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects With SylatronSylatron has been studied extensively. In these studies, some of the people were treated with Sylatron after melanoma surgery, while others just had surgery. The side effects that occurred in the two groups were carefully documented and compared.
In these studies, the most common Sylatron side effects included:
- Fatigue -- in up to 94 percent of people
- Increased liver enzymes (found using a blood test) -- up to 77 percent
- Fever -- up to 75 percent
- Headaches -- up to 70 percent
- Loss of appetite -- up to 69 percent
- Muscle pain -- up to 68 percent
- Nausea -- up to 64 percent
- Chills -- up to 63 percent
- Skin reactions at the injection site -- up to 62 percent
- Depression -- up to 59 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 51 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in 5 to 38 percent of people, included:
- Weight loss
- Protein in the urine (found using a urine test)
- Changes in the senses of taste and smell
- Unusual sensations (usually in the hands or feet), such as tingling, burning, or pricking
- Peeling of the skin
- Hair loss
- Shortness of breath
When using Sylatron, people will usually feel like they have the flu, due to symptoms like fatigue, fever, muscle aches, and chills. Taking acetaminophen (Tylenol®) before each dose can help limit some of these symptoms. Talk with your healthcare provider about whether you should take acetaminophen before each dose.