Skin Cancer Home > Sylatron Overdose
It is not exactly known what to expect if someone uses too much Sylatron. When larger-than-normal doses of this drug were used during clinical trials, the results included muscle pain, headaches, severe fatigue, and other problems. If you happen to overdose on this medication, treatment will consist of addressing any problems that occur.
Can You Use Too Much Sylatron?Sylatron™ (peginterferon alfa-2b) is a prescription medication used for the treatment of malignant melanoma. It is normally given by injection. As with many medications, it is possible to use too much Sylatron.
The specific effects of an overdose are currently unknown, but would likely depend on a number of factors, including the Sylatron dosage and whether it was given by injection or taken by mouth.
Overdose EffectsIn studies, giving larger-than-normal doses of Sylatron resulted in the following effects:
- Severe fatigue
- Muscle pain
- Low white blood cells, which could increase the risk for dangerous infections
- Low blood platelets, which could increase the risk for bleeding, including dangerous internal bleeding.
If a Sylatron overdose is taken by mouth, it is not expected to cause serious problems, although this is not known for certain. Sylatron is a delicate protein that must be injected because it would be destroyed by the digestive system if taken by mouth.
Treatment for a Sylatron OverdoseIt is not known how best to treat a Sylatron overdose. Therefore, if treatment is necessary, it will involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have used too much of this medication.