Skin Cancer Home > Melanoma
Key points to keep in mind regarding melanoma include:
- It is a disease in which malignant (cancerous) cells form in the skin cells called melanocytes (cells that color the skin)
- It can occur anywhere on the body
- Unusual moles, exposure to sunlight, and health history can affect a person's risk of developing melanoma
- Possible signs of melanoma include a change in the appearance of a mole or pigmented area
- Tests that examine the skin are used to detect (find) and diagnose the disease
- Certain factors affect prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options for melanoma.