Skin Cancer Home > Mekinist Side Effects
If you are receiving treatment with Mekinist and experience vision changes, swelling, or breathing problems, contact your healthcare provider right away. Dangerous problems can occur with this anticancer drug, so it is important to know which reactions require urgent medical treatment. Other possible side effects of Mekinist include a rash, acne, and diarrhea.
As with other anticancer medications, Mekinist™ (trametinib) can cause side effects, some of which can be significant. Although not everyone who takes the medication will have problems, many people will experience some type of side effect during Mekinist treatment. Talk to your healthcare provider about ways you can manage some of the more common Mekinist side effects.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Mekinist. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Mekinist has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking Mekinist were carefully documented and compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people taking other anticancer medications. As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the other medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Mekinist included:
- A rash -- in up to 57 percent of people
- Diarrhea -- up to 43 percent
- Swelling of the face, arms, or legs -- up to 32 percent
- Acne -- up to 19 percent
- Sores, ulcers, or swelling in the mouth (see Mouth and Gum Problems During Chemotherapy) -- up to 15 percent
- High blood pressure (hypertension) -- up to 15 percent
- Abdominal (stomach) pain -- 13 percent
- Abnormal bleeding -- up to 13 percent
- Dry skin -- up to 11 percent
- Itching -- up to 10 percent
- Infection of the skin around the fingernails or toenails, which could lead to redness, pain, and swelling -- up to 10 percent.
Other side effects, occurring in less than 10 percent of people taking Mekinist, included:
- Changes in taste
- Blurred vision
- Dry eyes
- Skin blisters, redness, or swelling
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Dry mouth
- Potentially dangerous breakdown of muscle fiber.