Skin Cancer Home > Erivedge Side Effects
When Erivedge was given to people during clinical studies, some of the most commonly reported reactions included muscle spasms, hair loss, and weight loss. According to these studies, most people developed some type of side effect during Erivedge treatment. There are also some potentially serious complications, such as persistent vomiting and difficulty breathing, that require immediate medical treatment.
An Introduction to Erivedge Side EffectsJust like any chemotherapy medicine, Erivedge™ (vismodegib) can cause side effects, some of which can be significant. In fact, most people will experience some type of reaction during treatment. Talk to your healthcare provider about ways to help manage any problems that occur.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Erivedge. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects With ErivedgeErivedge has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were carefully documented, so it was possible to see what adverse reactions occurred and how often they appeared.
In these studies, the most common Erivedge side effects included:
- Muscle spasms -- in up to 71.7 percent of people
- Hair loss -- up to 63.8 percent
- An abnormal or metallic taste in the mouth -- up to 55.1 percent
- Weight loss -- up to 44.9 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 39.9 percent
- Nausea -- up to 30.4 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 29 percent
- Decreased appetite -- up to 25.4 percent
- Constipation -- up to 21 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 15.9 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 13.8 percent
- Loss of taste -- up to 10.9 percent.
In addition, Erivedge caused the absence of a menstrual period in up to 30 percent of premenopausal women in clinical trials.