Skin Cancer Home > Aldara
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Aldara include the following:
- As you might expect, the directions for use vary significantly, depending on the condition being treated.
- For genital or perianal warts, Aldara is applied 3 times per week until the warts are gone (up to 16 weeks). Apply it at bedtime, leave it on for 6 to 10 hours, and then wash it off in the morning.
- For actinic keratosis, the cream is applied twice a week for a full 16 weeks. Apply it at bedtime, leave it on for about 8 hours, and then wash it off.
- For basal cell carcinoma, it is applied five times a week for six weeks. Apply it at bedtime, leave it on for about eight hours, and then wash it off.
- Wash your hands before and after applying the medication.
- If severe skin reactions occur, you might have to temporarily stop using the cream.
- Stay out of the sun, or wear protective clothing and sunscreen, during treatment and until any skin side effects have cleared up.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.