When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Aldara include the following:
- As you might expect, the directions for use vary significantly, depending on the condition being treated.
- For genital or perianal warts, Aldara is applied 3 times per week until the warts are gone (up to 16 weeks). Apply it at bedtime, leave it on for 6 to 10 hours, and then wash it off in the morning.
- For actinic keratosis, the cream is applied twice a week for a full 16 weeks. Apply it at bedtime, leave it on for about 8 hours, and then wash it off.
- For basal cell carcinoma, it is applied five times a week for six weeks. Apply it at bedtime, leave it on for about eight hours, and then wash it off.
- Wash your hands before and after applying the medication.
- If severe skin reactions occur, you might have to temporarily stop using the cream.
- Stay out of the sun, or wear protective clothing and sunscreen, during treatment and until any skin side effects have cleared up.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
Dosing InformationThe dosage of Aldara your healthcare provider recommends will depend mostly on the condition being treated and whether you develop severe skin reactions to the medication.
(Click Aldara Dosage for more information.)