Recommended Aldara Dosage for Basal Cell CarcinomaThe standard recommended dose of Aldara for basal cell treatment is five applications per week before bedtime for six weeks. The maximum size of basal cell lesion treatable by this drug is 2 cm (a little less than an inch) across. Make sure to treat the entire area, including 1 cm past the borders of the lesion. The exact amount applied will depend on the size of your lesion (your healthcare provider will advise you exactly how much to use). Apply the cream at bedtime, leave it on for about eight hours, and then wash it off.
General Information on Using AldaraSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Aldara include the following:
- If you have to stop using Aldara because of severe skin side effects, your treatment length should not be extended to make up for missed days. For instance, if you skip a week in the middle of a 16-week treatment, do not add a week at the end.
- If your dosage does not use up an entire package, you should not save the remainder for later. Discard the extra, and use a fresh package for each dose of Aldara.
- Wash your hands before and after applying the medication.
- You might have to temporarily stop using the cream if severe skin reactions occur.
- Stay out of the sun, or wear protective clothing and sunscreen, during treatment and until any skin side effects have cleared up.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Aldara, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.